Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is hopeful the NBA will resume the 2019-20 season this summer.

And he has a revolutionary idea that would increase stakes for playoff qualification.

In a proposal Cuban has suggested to the league office, according to an ESPN report, the NBA would play five to seven regular-season games. Then the top 10 teams in each conference would qualify to the postseason, re-seeded based on record.

There would then be two play-in matchups: the No. 17 vs. No. 20 seeds and the No. 18 vs. No. 19 seeds. The winners of those games — via either single games or a best-of-3 series — would advance to play the 15th and 16th seeds, respectively, for the final playoff spots in each bracket.

The playoffs would then continue as its traditional best-of-7 series format, but the teams would be seeded No. 1 through No. 16, rather than using separate Eastern and Western Conference brackets.

It’s unclear whether the NBA plans for all teams, regardless of standing, to participate if and when the NBA resumes.

But Cuban’s plan would include all 30 teams in an effort to appease the financial burden of local television contracts, to increase competitiveness and to allow playoff teams time to re-acclimate to live play.

“It’s fair,” Cuban told ESPN. “It’s entertaining.”

The Mavericks (40-27) entered the hiatus at seventh place in the Western Conference, meaning Dallas would fall into previously discussed play-in postseason formats involving teams at No. 7 through No. 10 in the conference standings.

However, the Mavericks likely wouldn’t be involved in Cuban’s proposed qualification process.

Just 12 NBA teams have fewer losses than Dallas (27), and only Brooklyn (34 losses) and Memphis (33) are within seven of the Mavericks, the highest amount of regular-season games Cuban proposed.

Should the NBA resume the season with an increased number of regular-season games before Cuban’s proposed postseason format, Dallas could finish lower than No. 14, the final automatic berth.

The NBA confirmed Saturday through a league spokesman that it’s in discussions with the Walt Disney Company to use the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando as a central location for the remainder of the season.

The location “makes sense because Disney is our biggest partner,” Cuban said recently on The Hardline on 1310-AM/96.7-FM The Ticket.

Should the regular season resume how Cuban envisions, he doesn’t expect the Mavericks to have issues.

Luka Doncic and Kristaps Porzingis have been outside the U.S. during the hiatus, Cubans said, and several other players are in the U.S. but not in Dallas. But Cuban expects the team will help its players return to Dallas as safely as possible within whatever quarantine and distancing restrictions the league institutes.

Aside from a potential new playoff qualification structure, that leaves general safety of players and personnel as Cuban’s biggest concern in the process of the NBA’s resumption.

“Being more hopeful, being more confident — we will not do anything unless we feel like we can protect all the [players] and essential personnel,” Cuban said on The Ticket. “Period. End of story.

“In the event that someone does get sick, I don’t know. … That will be up to [NBA commissioner Adam Silver] and the doctors and all the scientists we’ve hired, and the epidemiologists to come up with a plan on how we deal with that.”

Find more Mavericks stories from The Dallas Morning News here.



Source link