Here are the Liverpool morning headlines on Saturday, May 23. Heskey gives verdict on three Liverpool targets Former Liverpool striker Emile Heskey has run the rule over Jadon Sancho, Erling Haaland and Kylian Mbappe. All three players, amongst the most coveted youngsters in world football, have been repeatedly linked with a move to Anfield. And Heskey has expressed his belief that Sancho should be Liverpool’s priority in the summer transfer window. “I’d choose Sancho for Liverpool, out of the three,” he told GentingBet. “Mbappe is a phenomenal player who is another player who keeps on rising and is only going to get better and better. “He’s focused more to keep the consistency going, at that age it’s just phenomenal. It’s difficult, because for Liverpool you’d choose a player who was more on the wing than central. “But again, Haaland’s goals are a key factor. I’m going to be patriotic and say that Sancho would be great, being an England player and an entertaining player as well.” Heskey added: “Haaland is up there with Mbappe and Sancho and when it comes to potential and you look at goals, he’s up there with the best of them. “The sky is the limit, so it’s up to him to keep that momentum going, because it’s not easy to keep it going.” Read More
Pochettino brought to tears by Liverpool defeat in Champions League final Former Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino has revealed how upset he was following last season’s Champions League final defeat against Liverpool. Spurs were beaten 2-0 by the Reds in Madrid, a penalty from Mohamed Salah and a late Divock Origi goal enough to secure victory for Jurgen Klopp’s side. Tottenham were praised for getting so far in the competition, but Pochettino has admitted that the loss hurt. “I was convinced that the final was going to go our way,” he told the Daily Mail. “That was completely in our minds. But nobody is prepared after 30 seconds of the Champions League final to concede like that. “The goal changed the whole game, all the emotions. “It is difficult to prepare a team for that happening. We were much better than Liverpool. We were unlucky that we didn’t score. “I was so disappointed. It was difficult to stop crying, to stop feeling bad. You can use the example of Liverpool after they lost to Real Madrid the season before. That was a massive motivation and inspiration. “But I knew after five years — with the way we were working and all the things that happened — it was going to be difficult.” Premier League chief executive gives update on return Premier League chief executive Richard Masters has backed the decision to allow clubs to return to training and hinted at an imminent return to action. There has been no confirmed date for the resumption of the season yet, but players’ return to training suggests it is not far away. “We’ve taken the first step,” Masters told BBC Sport. “It’s great for everybody, including the fans, to see our players back on the training ground.
Must-read Liverpool FC news
“We wouldn’t have taken the first step to get back to training if we weren’t convinced we had created a very safe environment for our players. “It is the first step and we have to be sure when we go to contact training we have completed those processes. “We have done everything we possibly can to make return to training as safe as possible. “We think it is safe to return. We have to respect players’ decisions not to return to training. I would be comfortable to return to training.”